I grew up with pumpkin chiffon pie that my mother made with Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding and Cool Whip. So for me, a chiffon-style pumpkin pie is the ultimate Thanksgiving dessert.
Pumpkin chiffon pie recipe
To toast the nuts, spread them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8 minutes.
4 tablespoons (60 ml) unsalted butter
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
1. Line the bottom of a 9-inch (22.5-cm) pie pan with parchment paper.
2. To make the crust: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-heat and cook until colored a deep brown. Remove from the heat.
3. In a food processor, coarsely grind the almonds and transfer to a large bowl. Coarsely grind the hazelnuts and add to the bowl. Mix in the whey protein, sweetener, salt, ginger, and vanilla. Add the butter and mix well. Press evenly into the prepared pie pan. Chill.
4. To make the filling: Place the water in a small heatproof bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Let sit for 2 minutes to soften. Melt the softened gelatin over simmering water or in the microwave.
5. If using Splenda and Sugar Twin, mix them in a cup.
6. In a food processor, combine the pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, egg yolks, softened gelatin, 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the cream and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the mixed sweeteners or 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the Splenda. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until the mixture just starts to splutter.
7. Return the pumpkin mixture to the food processor and blend again until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let stand at room temperature, stirring frequently, until cool.
8. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mixed sweeteners or 1/4 cup (60 ml) Splenda. Beat until stiff peaks form. Stir one-quarter of the whites into the pumpkin mixture, then fold in the remaining whites. Spread in the prepared crust and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
9. Up to 3 hours before serving, beat the remaining 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) whipping cream to firm peaks and pile on top of the pie.
Makes 8 generous servings.
Per serving: Effective carbohydrates: 9.7g; Carbohydrates: 14.3g; Fiber: 4.6g; Protein: 11.8g; Fat: 45.3g; Calories: 495
Made with Splenda only: Add 1 g carbohydrates.