2 cups unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pumpkin
1 large egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for griddle)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (for garnish)
1. Combine ingredients except 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and walnuts. Stir just until moistened; batter may be lumpy.
2. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with vegetable oil.
3. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles begin to burst.
4. Turn; continue cooking one to two minutes. Serve with Pumpkin Maple Sauce (below) and chopped walnuts for garnish.
Makes about 20 pancakes.
Per 1-pancake serving: 100.42 calories, 43.52 calories from fat, 4.94g total fat, 0.75g saturated fat, 12.33mg cholesterol, 12.14g carbs, 0.79g dietary fiber, 2.44g protein, 186.98mg sodium
Less carbohydrates: In the recipe, use 3 packets Splenda in place of 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (- 0.51g carbs/serving).
Less fat, less cholesterol and less calories:
Substitute 1/4 cup egg substitute in place of 1 large egg, 1 cup skim milk in place of 1 cup whole milk and nonfat cooking spray in place of 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (- 1.25g total fat/serving), (- 12.18mg cholesterol/serving), and (- 11.75 calories/serving).
Substitute 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached white flour in place of 2 cups unbleached white flour (+ 0.60g dietary fiber).
Pumpkin Maple Sauce
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 cups pumpkin
1. Mix together until well blended.
Makes 2 1/4 cups.
Per 1 tablespoon serving: 26.13 calories, 0.39 calories from fat, 0.04g total fat, 0.02g saturated fat, 0.00mg cholesterol, 6.66g carbs, 0.25g dietary fiber, 0.09g protein, 1.23mg sodium
In the recipe, use sugar-free maple syrup in place of regular maple syrup. (- 5.63g carbs).
Substitute sugar-free maple syrup in place of regular maple syrup (- 19.79 calories).