Fish is truly an all-encompassing health food. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish — especially in popular affordable fish like salmon, halibut and tuna — can boost heart health, stave off depression and arthritis and lower triglycerides. Plus, the low-calorie wonder food is loaded with hunger-fighting protein that helps prevent snacking — a major source for empty calories. Here are a few tempting fish recipes to help you meet your health goals.
This yummy fatty fish is coated with olive oil and spiced to perfection. Serve with grilled veggies for ultimate low calorie deliciousness.
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Mix together all ingredients separate from salmon with whisk. Pour over salmon and marinate for one hour.
- Make foil package to encase salmon for grilling. Remove salmon from marinade and place in package.
- Put foil package directly on medium heat grill. Cook for five minutes on each side or until fish easily flakes with fork.
You don't need to eat only fresh fish to get your intake of omega-3's! Canned tuna does the job, too. This complex-tasting tuna salad packs a punch, perfect for lunchtime or a simple dinner. Make it at the beginning of the week for a stress-free meal. Eat on toasted whole wheat bread or on its own.
- 1 large (7 ounce) can tuna
- 6 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet hot mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Completely drain tuna and place in small bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix.
Spice up your fish-savoring routine with chili-garlic sauce, sesame seeds and fresh vegetables.
- 2 pounds of halibut, cut into two inch strips
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 cup green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup green onions, cut into 4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together mayo, lemon juice, chili-garlic sauce, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce in small bowl. Add mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Place halibut on foil-lined baking sheet and pour mixture over fish. Place in oven and bake 15-20 minutes until fish is opaque and flakes with a fork.
- Top with onions and sesame seeds and serve.
More tips for healthy living
15 Tips for the best sleep ever
5 Ways to boost your energy and keep it up
Vaccine-free flu prevention tips