If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, your lifestyle, including regular exercise, a healthy weight and a nutritious diet, can go far in alleviating painful rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Here are a few joint-friendly recipes from Ellie Krieger, who has teamed with New Way RA.
Regular consumption of RA-friendly foods like ginger, green tea, antioxidant-packed veggies and omega-3 fatty acids is an easy (and tasty!) way to improve your quality of life. Choose low- or non-fat varieties of dairy, focus on plant-based ingredients and nosh on nutritious whole grains.
Ellie Krieger, registered dietitian, culinary expert and host of Healthy Appetite on Food Network is committed to helping people coping with RA live better, through the online talk-show New Way RA, hosted by Deborah Norville.
Here, Krieger shares healthy recipes for two delicious dishes and a refreshing beverage, all tailor-made to aid in RA treatment.
Recipes for rheumatoid arthritis relief
Citrus-Chili Marinated Mahi Mahi
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 6-ounce skinless mahi mahi fillets, or other firm white-fish fillet such as halibut
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, orange juice and chili powder.
- Place fish, top-side down, in a 9 x13-inch dish, and pour the marinade over it.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 to 3 hours.
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat (or prepare on the grill).
- Remove the fish from marinade and season both sides with salt.
- Grill the fish until it flakes easily with a fork (about 4 minutes per side). Sprinkle with lime.
Multicolor Cole Slaw
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, cored
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Shred the cabbage, carrots and red pepper in a food processor.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Place shredded vegetables, yogurt-mayonnaise mixture and cilantro into a large bowl and toss.
Ginger Green Iced Tea
- 5 cups water
- 2-1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger (unpeeled is OK), coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 bags of green tea
- Ice for serving
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Place 2 cups of water and the ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the honey.
- Remove from heat and add the tea bags. Steep for 3 minutes, then strain all the solids.
- In a large pitcher, combine strained tea with the remaining water. Chill in refrigerator.
- Serve over ice, garnished with mint sprigs if desired.
More on rheumatoid arthritis relief