Did You Know?
On an average day in the United States, 411 babies are born with a birth defect. One in five children have a minor chronic illness. Read below for more facts and statistics on children's health.
Children's Miracle Network hospitals:
- Treat 98% of all children needing heart or lung transplants.
- Treat 88% of all children with cancer.
- Treat 76% of all children with cystic fibrosis.
- Treat 90% of all children with sickle cell anemia.
- Treat 72% of children with pediatric AIDS.
- Devote 60% of their services to children under age six and 25% to newborns.
- Train 60% of pediatricians and 80% of all pediatric specialists.
- Educate families about issues like child safety seats, helmet safety and bicycle safety.
- Devote nearly a quarter of their care to newborns, who require the most intensive nursing and medical care of all patients.
- Treat 6 million children for accident trauma each year.
- Treat 49,000 children with cancer each year.
- Treat 45,000 children for heart defects and problems each year.
- Treat 1,300 children for sickle cell anemia each year.
- Provide $2.5 billion in charity (uncompensated) care each year.
- Asthma is the leading serious chronic illness among children.
- Cancer is the chief cause of death by disease in children under 15.
- Approximately 123,000 children in the United States have diabetes.
- Congenital heart disease is the most common of all major birth defects.
- On an average day in the United States, 411 babies are born with a birth defect.
- An estimated 150,000 babies are born each year with birth defects.
- One in five children have a minor chronic illness.
- Almost 80% of children with cancer will survive today due to advances in diagnosis and treatment of pediatric cancer.
- The oldest children's hospital in the United States and Canada is The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. It was founded in 1855.
Provided by Children's Miracle Network
About Children's Miracle Network
Children's Miracle Network is a non-profit organization that raises funds for more than 170 children's hospitals. Countless individuals, organizations and media partners unite with Children's Miracle Network hospitals to help sick and injured kids in local communities. Donations to Children's Miracle Network create miracles by funding medical care, research and education that save and improve the lives of 17 million children each year.
The opinions expressed in this article are of the author and the author alone. They do not reflect the opinions of SheKnows, LLC or any of its affiliates and they have not been reviewed by an expert in a related field or any member of the SheKnows editorial staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on the Site are not a substitute for professional advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on SheKnows. SheKnows does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.