Because your children spend much of their time at school or child care centers, the staff at these centers should be well educated about accommodating your child's food allergy and handling an allergic reaction. Food anaphylaxis is a life-threatening condition that must be handled quickly and appropriately.
Food anaphylaxis is a sudden, severe allergic reaction, which can involve the skin, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system. It is potentially fatal. Most life-threatening reactions in children and adolescents are caused by peanuts or tree nuts.
Signs and symptom vary depending on the child. Common symptom of an allergic reaction include:
Your child may display one symptom or many when experiencing food anaphylaxis. The main thing is to determine when emergency action is necessary.
Because you know your child best, work with your child's pediatrician, family doctor or allergist to determine what should be done if your child is thought to be have ingested a food he or she is allergic to.
Some physicians recommend treatment (usually a dose of epinephrine and antihistamine) before symptoms occur; others prefer to wait for a reaction before treating. You and your child's doctor need to determine the best course of action based on our child's medical history and your preference.
A written emergency plan should include:
The Children's Medical Center of Dayton is the region's pediatric referral center for 20 Ohio counties and eastern Indiana. At Dayton Children's, there is a full-time dedication to caring for infants, children and teens. Specially trained and experienced pediatric specialists in over 35 specialty areas work as a team to make sure the medical and psychosocial needs of children and their families are met. We also have a number of community-based services as well.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!