Move, Groove
Burn And Lose!

Sick of the gym? Just dance! According to a survey published by the American Council on Exercise, health and fitness specialists see dance-based workouts as a growing trend. Plus, you burn about 200 to 400 calories per hour dancing - similar to the calories you burn swimming, cycling or walking. If regularly practiced, dancing can lead to a slower heart rate, lower blood pressure and improved cholesterol levels, all signs of improved health and fitness. So if you're ready to get your dance on (and burn off the fat!), read on for more ways to shape up while shaking your stuff!

Dancing Woman

Burn calories with choreographed moves

Who said dance classes are just for kids? Many studios and community centers offer jazz, hip hop, and ballet classes for grown-ups, too. Ballet is an awesome way to increase your flexibility, engages the hips, thighs, back, and abs, and ballet is gentle enough to practice during pregnancy. And quick-footed jazz and hip hop routines can burn about 300 calories an hour while working all of your major muscle groups. The best part? Rarely do you need any experience — or a closet full of tutus — to join.

Blitz fat with ballroom dance

Hot off the heels of the hit show Dancing With the Stars, ballroom's never been bigger. And just like Brooke Burke, you, too, can become proficient in the pasa doble with a ballroom class. High-energy routines like the salsa, samba and cha-cha can be compared to an intense workout at the gym. Plus, because it's a weight-bearing activity, ballroom dancing builds bone density and works nearly all the muscles of the body and sharpens balance and coordination.

DIY Dance

Can't make it to a studio? Create your own dance floor at home. Turn up the tunes (and close the shades, if you're so inclined) and just let loose. Jump, skip, twist, turn and wriggle around until you get your heart rate up. And if you have kids, grab them for an impromptu dance party set to their favorite songs. You'll work up a sweat, and they'll love seeing all of mommy's moves!

Keep reading for more information on dance fitness

Get fit with ballroom dancing
Super sexy ways to slim down, shape up and build confidence
Dance fitness: Latin-inspired Zumba will get you fit fast

Comments

Comments on "Dance workouts that help you lose weight"

ashlin January 24, 2014 | 11:48 AM

Belive me! I have started dancing 2 days ago and dancing for about 10-20 mins. And wow lost three pounds already. I eeigh about 132

Jack January 10, 2013 | 2:52 AM

I'm 19 and am trying to loose fat and I found dancing for me has helped. I have the usual excercise circuit as well as my dance circuit to help me. I find choreography helps because if you choose high paced, intense choreography and learn it and practice it over and over it helps. I recommend when doing choreography dances to help loose weight is Kpop choreography. NOT gang am style but from other artists like SNSD, SHINee, Infinite, TVXQ, they all work. It's fun to do and u break into sweat instantly. Highly recommended for anyone.

Ashleigh August 03, 2012 | 12:38 PM

I'm 14 years old and my weight (nearly 200 pounds) is just out of control. And I am at risk for diabetes because it runs in my family. I'm also extremely short; I am only 5 feet tall and so all the fat is compacted onto my body. I've been dancing consistently every day for at least an hour, sometimes I get up to two hours or more. I drink plenty of water and am trying to eat better, but my problem is not what I eat but how much.. I've been working on portion control and hope to lose at least 70 pounds. I'm just glad there are others out there with the same problem who have lost weight dancing. I hope it works well for me too. I can already see the improvement in my face.

Keeta July 12, 2012 | 8:30 PM

IF YOU DANCE BELLY DANCE.!!! IT WORKS LIKE HELLA!

celi April 13, 2012 | 8:34 PM

I started dancing a week ago, and let me tell you how good i feel before i always felt bloated, a lil muffin on the top and i was loosing all my pair of jeans not to mention how awful i felt in them, i got lucky my room closet doors are all mirror i turn up my pandora to Techno music, and some hip hop & regeaton and NOW I FEEL AMAZING MY BELLY IS GOING DOWN AND SO IS THE REST!!!!YOU DONT really need to go and pay for classes just find a room in your house you feel comfortable and dance like noone is watching!!! :) 30-45mins, unleast 5X times a week or 3

Chantel March 13, 2012 | 9:55 PM

I THANK GOD FOR DANCING!!! im 14, and I was 224lbs. and 5'10... I danced everyday for 30 minutes or 20 minutes on the days I was not feeling well or I had too much homework, hip-hop and mexican, only one 5 minute break, loads of water and fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats.. now im down to 150lbs. I wish I could tell the months, but I was not really tracking them because I was just down to my knees like HOW DID I LOSE ALL THIS WEIGHT SO FAST?! I would say dancing is better than the treadmill or any other workouts because dancing gives you quicker results, and if your not seeing them soon enought DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! keep going!!!!!!!! I had cheat days, like sometimes I ate mcdonalds or burger king but that was only once every two weeks. Soo... YEAH! :D OH! make sure you have a before and after picture, when you get down to your goal it will EXTREMELY IMPACT YOU like you will start crying :) good luck!!!

Mary Shafizadeh May 20, 2011 | 1:57 PM

I agree…dancing is a great form of fitness. In fact, I created a dance-fitness program based on club-style dance moves that I teach in Southern, CA.The reason I created it was because it was my solution to reaching my personal fitness goals of slimming down and shaping up. I lost 70+ lbs from doing it and have kept it off. If you check out http://hypnautycs/ you’ll find a blog with many tips on dancing and how to use it to reach your physical goals.

Hannah March 31, 2011 | 10:48 AM

I'm in a dance groupand wherein the world street championships and i started when i was 6 and i'm 13 now and i've stayed a size 8-9/9-10 ever since Lol and it makes you feel morw confident if I where you i'd start dancing now! :-D xx

Mayra March 29, 2011 | 1:59 PM

Omg ever since I started dancing in order to lose weight it has become really fun to loose weight befor it was just the same painful workout that sometimes I didn't even want to get in the morning to do my work... Lol!! I encourage others to try it you guys are going o love it!!!!!:)

Sha March 28, 2011 | 9:24 PM

I absolutely enjoy my zumba class....it incorporates so many different types of dancing. Can't always make it to the gym, so i purchase the songs from class online & have my own zumba party @ home! I even put aside time to come up with my own choreography...& that burns major calories!

JAW March 26, 2011 | 4:02 PM

i love dancing at my house. I go upstairs in the bathroom and crank the music up!I notice i started to loose the fat and gain some ab lines!i dance for like 30 min plus.Just keep moving and make sure you move your whole body!do a little bit of everything!My personal favorite is belly dancing!

NICOLE February 13, 2011 | 6:21 AM

I desperately want to lose hip fat and thighs .. if I dance for about 45 minutes a day, how long will it take for me to lose weight from those areas? Please help!

Jacklyn January 04, 2011 | 7:26 AM

Dancing IS a great way to exercise! I always dance by myself in my bathroom (it's huge!), but it's mostly as practice for when I go to clubs, haha. I always work up a sweat, though I do need a break after 15 minutes of intense dancing, since i don't exercise except for during these little private dance sessions. I'm 5'4" and dancing helps me maintain a 101-104 lb figure. When I don't exercise and start to eat, I can go from 101 lbs up to 109 lbs within 2-3 days, haha.

littleleers December 27, 2010 | 2:32 PM

I love dancing! I have always enjoyed it. I have a gym membership and used to do the treadmill thing and a few circuit machines. I lost a pound or two, but I wasn't getting toned up doing these. Started doing hip hop, salsa, cumbia, salsa, and anything in between, on my own, in the gym's exercise room three to four times a week. Besides having the time of my life, I have developed a dancer's figure...what a plus. I have added free weight lifting which helps with endurance and strength and also helps with weight loss. I am tiny at 5 feet, but I have lost five pounds doing this.

Tammy June 26, 2010 | 9:56 PM

I started dancing about a week ago after my friend girl and I were talking. I was telling her I had started walking every morning. She told me that she was dancing. I said what kind of dancing, she said bascially hip hop. My kids enjoy it also.

deedee June 16, 2010 | 7:57 AM

I have lost 4lbs consistantly in 5 weeks dancing 3 times a day for 30 minutes in my living room.I still have 40lbs to go but I,ll get there.Ihave 4 kids and I never thought I would ever get the weight off Iweighed 170lbs I am now 150lbs.I didnt change what I eat as much as how much I eat.Of course I dont drink sodas only diet,I went from whole milk to fat free milk and I dont use alot of salt,I dont eat fried foods only once in a while.I never thought I could change my eating habits but after the first week it got easier.Now it really takes little effort.

miss. drama queen April 08, 2010 | 9:57 AM

this is such a good idea, i am going on holiday soon to america and want to look good in a bikini i cant wait to get groovin' x

stick person April 08, 2010 | 9:54 AM

i just go on the wii fit

nevershoutnever. February 04, 2010 | 4:22 PM

I enjoy dancing its a puerogative of mine stated by my friend dupri, I can sure dance and love it more than you know

Randi February 04, 2010 | 4:17 PM

I am a thirteen year old girl, my town has no gym near by where I live, I started dancing at a community center with a dance instructor, I used to be so self consious about the size of my stomach and the size of my thighs ever since I started dancing at the community center eight weeks ago my stomach is flat and my thighs are slim.