We’ve long ago busted the myth of women “having it all,” but damn if we don’t try our hardest to look like we do. Between juggling work, friends, a significant other and a kid or two, the odds are slim that you’re finding any time for yourself these days. And when you do, you probably just want to sleep.
We feel you (boy, do we feel you). But consider this your very
friendly word of warning. Researchers have discovered as of 2016 that chronic stress can actually change the brain and lead to anxiety and depression. So you can probably guess that your stress compounds and gives way to more stress, and more anxiety and depression that create more stress, and the vicious cycle continues.
More: I hate my panic attacks, but I hate the medication that stops them, too
We don’t have all the answers, but we do know that taking small steps in the right direction can make a huge difference. These little stress-busters, when used regularly, could bring your stress down to that normal-crazy level. You can try one idea for every week of the year:
1. Netflix and chill — by yourself. (And use these
Netflix hacks to make binge-watching so much easier.)
2. Take a bath with your favorite glass of wine.
3. Try a new, easy cardio activity after you put the kids to bed: walking around the block, hiking at a well-lit park or swimming a few laps at the community pool.
4. Listen to a guided meditation podcast as you drift off to sleep.
More: My exercise obsession saved me from crippling anxiety
5. Clean that one room/area of your house that has been driving you crazy. (Trust us, you’ll feel a lot better when the organizing is done.)
Watch fish swim in an aquarium and release all those to-do lists in your head.
7. Go to bed an hour earlier or set your alarm an hour later to get some extra sleep.
8. Try a
gratitude journal — write down three little things you’re grateful for at the end of each day.
9. Write down everything that is stressing you out on the next page.
10. Eat clean for one day (cutting out all processed foods) and observe how you feel before you go to sleep.
several cycles of deep breathing at the beginning and end of your lunch break.
12. Set up a “walking date” with a good friend you haven’t seen enough of lately.
13. Drink just
one glass of red wine with your evening meal.
Learn to meditate — and try it at least once a day.
15. Take an afternoon nap.
16. Set aside a shopping budget, and go spend the money on whatever catches your eye.
17. Buy a fancy coffee before work.
18. While you’re at it,
pay it forward by buying a fancy coffee for the person in line behind you, too.
19. Serve dinner on your finest china.
20. Buy yourself that high-end shampoo and conditioner you’ve been eyeing.
21. Use a Groupon to hire a housecleaning service to clean your home from top to bottom.
22. Send a friend, your mom or your sister a “just thinking about you” text and wait for their sweet response.
23. Read an old love note or love email.
24. Read an old work email, praising you for one of your biggest accomplishments.
25. Don’t just hum — sing along with music in the car at the top of your lungs.
26. Say “no” to an unnecessary commitment, with absolutely zero guilt.
Next Up: Have an at-home spa day