Fewer Allergies In Spring & Summer
You can reduce your allergic misery if you take steps to keep the culprits out of your house.
11 tips to prevent allergies
1) If you suffer from seasonal allergies caused by plants and trees, keep windows shut and the air conditioner on.
2) Purchase an air filter to clean out pollens, molds and dust.
3) Use a dehumidifier in damp areas like the basement.
4) Install wood, tile or vinyl floors rather than carpet because they can be mopped regularly.
5) If you do have carpets, have someone else do the vacuuming or buy a vacuum cleaner designed to reduce dust emissions.
6) Minimize clutter, book collections and bric-a-brac, which serve as havens for dust and pollens.
7) Keep pets outside or bathe them regularly if they're indoors, and don't let them sleep in your bed.
8) Wash your hair every day to rinse off dust and pollen.
9) If you've been in the yard, leave shoes at the door and wash your clothes in hot water as soon as possible.
10) Treat carpets with an anti-allergen spray that kills dust mites.
11) Mattress and pillow covers can provide a barrier between you and the dust mites in your bed, where they live and breed.
You won't be able to eliminate every allergen from your home, but with these steps you can make it a comfortable place even during the peak of allergy season.
The opinions expressed in this article are of the author and the author alone. They do not reflect the opinions of SheKnows, LLC or any of its affiliates and they have not been reviewed by an expert in a related field or any member of the SheKnows editorial staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on the Site are not a substitute for professional advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on SheKnows. SheKnows does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.