SECTIONS
What would you like to know?
Share this Story

Woman nearly blinded after friend mistakes super glue for eyedrops

Sasha Brown-Worsham

by

Sasha Brown-Worsham

Sasha Brown-Worsham has written for dozens of publications over the course of her years as a journalist and blogger. She lives outside NYC with her three children, husband, and multiple pets. She is working on her first novel.

Woman's eye super-glued shut after horrible mistake with 'eyedrops'

If you have ever accidentally super-glued any part of your body, then you know that once it's on, there is almost no getting it off. Which is why getting it in your eye sounds almost worse than any torture one can imagine. Sadly that is exactly what happened to one woman in Florida.

Katherine Gaydos told ABC News affiliate WPBF-TV that the incident happened after she got debris in her eye while cleaning up fall leaves. She asked her friend to get some Visine and then, because the bottles looked similar, her friend put super glue in her eye instead.

“As soon as I felt it in my eye I felt it burn and I closed my eye and screamed 'Call 911,'” she told WPBF-TV.

The sad thing is, this isn't terribly uncommon. There are a few visits every year to the ER for this mistake. And it's true. Look at a bottle of Visine and then at a bottle of super glue. They actually look disturbingly similar.

More: 70 Patients could have been exposed to HIV from their flu shot

It's easy enough to mock this woman or her friend (seriously, can you imagine the guilt?), but it's also so possible that in the moment, with the chaos and pain, this is the kind of mistake that could happen to any of us. None of us should feel it couldn't.

So what does that mean in terms of safety? It's fairly obvious. Be incredibly mindful when choosing to put anything in your eyes. Even eye drops themselves can get crusty or studded with debris in the bottom of a purse. Make sure you store drops in a safe, clean place and only put drops in your eye if you know what they are. We all know eye pain is so immediate and annoying (and you can't see) so you will be fumbling. Maybe it's a better idea to know exactly where your eye drops are and not have them near anything even remotely resembling that bottle.

More: The key to a long life is bacon, according to the world's oldest woman

It's a truly unfortunate story and let's hope doctors are able to help Gaydos in the way she needs. My heart goes out to her.

Tagged in
Comments
Follow Us

SheKnows Media ‐ Beauty and Style

Hot
New in Health & Wellness
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!