Our process of self-discovery through writing doesn't need to end with a teenage diary. It can be a lifetime opportunity with powerful implications to your well-being.
As a budding teenager, you may have kept a diary — under lock and key and well hidden from the prying eyes of your siblings and parents. It was a secret place to write out your thoughts and record your daily activities, not to mention a great place to keep track of all your childhood crushes! As an adult you can have that same place with a personal journal, though it's unlikely that as many of the pages will be entirely covered in doodle hearts like when you were 14! Here are just some of the powerful ways journaling can benefit you as an adult.
Aids in gaining clarity and focus to your life
- Encourages reflection on your life and inner self.
- Helps you remember what's important in your life.
- Allows you to see harmful thought patterns and will encourage you to eradicate them.
- Offers a place to express gratitude.
- Aids in goal setting and planning for the future.
Reduces stress and helps in personal healing
- A journal can act as a sounding board for all your pent-up emotions, thus reducing stress.
- Letting out all your thoughts on paper will help soothe and reconcile troubled memories, allowing you to move on.
- It will help balance your thoughts while strengthening your sense of self.
- It is a safe haven for all thoughts and emotions, free of all judgment.
Encourages personal growth
- Offers a creative outlet for self-expression.
- Allows you to explore your ideas.
- Provides valuable insights.
- Aids in a true discovery of self without self- or society-imposed barriers.
- Helps you see any areas of your life that need improvement.
- Helps you reach your full potential.
- Allows you to see yourself as an important part of the universe.
- Boosts self-esteem.
- Encourages proactive behaviour.
Allows better memory keeping
- Helps you become a better story writer.
- Is a perfect place to record personal history.
- Aids in increasing your memory of personal events.
- Can be a great tribute to your family and history.
More on wellness
The benefits of massage therapy
The health benefits of making love
Keep Smiling: Easy ways to be happy every day