Share this Story

Girl goes blind after bacteria ate her corneas

Charlotte Hilton Andersen is the author of the book The Great Fitness Experiment: One Year of Trying Everything and runs the popular health and fitness website of the same name, where she tries out a new workout every month, specializing...

Student goes blind after wearing contact lenses for 6 months

Eye-eating bacteria blinded a Taiwanese girl after she left her contact lenses in for six months straight. Lian Kao, a 23-year-old student, said she left her contacts in day and night, not even removing them to clean them — which is how she ended up with acanthamoeba, a parasite that devoured her corneas and left her effectively blind. But before you say, "Oh I would never be that dumb!" you should know that most contact lens wearers make mistakes that could lead to getting a severe infection.

Brian Francis, M.D., an ophthalmologist for the Doheny Eye Center at Orange Coast Memorial Hospital, says he's seen plenty of patients with severe complications and even blindness from improperly taking care of their lenses. "You should never sleep in your contacts, no matter how tired you are," he says, adding that he doesn't even recommend the lenses made to be used overnight.

But it was Kao's habit of showering and swimming with her contacts in that likely got her this particular infection, Francis says. "Contact lenses act as sponges in water and they'll absorb bacteria, parasites and other nasty things in water," he explains. Once the bacteria are in, the area between the lens and the eye is a perfect breeding ground for them to grow and fester. Even worse, many infections start doing damage to your eyes before you ever have pain.

I'll admit it: I swim with my contacts in. Most of my friends with contacts do. After an embarrassing incident in high school where I walked into an open pool in a friend's backyard because I wasn't wearing my contacts and am blind as a bat, I figured I'd rather risk infection and irritation than humiliation again. While I'm confessing my eye hygiene sins, sometimes I get lazy and don't rinse them properly, wear them far too many hours during the day, and sometimes wear them longer than the month I'm supposed to. And we won't talk about all the dumb stuff I've done like driving home with only one lens in because the other one had gotten stuck inside my eyelid.

But Kao's story should serve as a warning to all of us who may have gotten lax in our contact lens care. I've had contacts for over 20 years (I got them as a kid when my eye glasses prescription got ridiculously thick) and I, like many other contacts vets, may think that because we've been sloppy for so long and nothing bad has happened that means we're OK.

Francis is not a fan of that mentality. Contact lenses are medical equipment and they go in your eye. That reason alone should inspire you to be better about taking care of them. And be sure to see your doctor at the slightest sign of pain or redness as Francis says most infections are treatable if caught early on. In the meantime, be sure to give your eyes regular breaks to "breathe" by wearing glasses — even if you do look like Groucho Marx in them (like me... sigh).

More health and wellness

Girl dies from brain-eating amoeba: What you need to know
Hospital elevator buttons are even dirtier than toilets
Magic mushrooms may be the latest health food — huh?

Tagged in
New in Health & Wellness

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!

b h e a r d !

Welcome to the new SheKnows Community,

where you can share your stories, ideas

and CONNECT with millions of women.

Get Started