These two natural candy cane options are supermarket finds that contain all of the joy of the season and none of the artificial ingredients.
TruJoy Sweets Organic Candy Canes are gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and certified kosher, and are made with the highest-quality all-natural ingredients. These products are made without corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors. They only use organic sweeteners to create a healthier and better-tasting product.
Pure Fun Candy Canes
Pure Fun Candy Canes are certified organic peppermint candy canes. The ingredient list is short and sweet, containing only organic evaporated cane juice, organic brown rice syrup, organic fruit juice and natural peppermint oil!
Looking for a festive way to bake with candy canes this year? Try my recipe!
Healthy Grocery Girl's candy cane sugar cookies with chocolate frosting
Makes five dozen sugar cookies
- 1-1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 cup organic unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons organic corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dark chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Justin’s Nut Butter, per cookie
- 1 teaspoon of crushed all-natural candy cane per cookie, sprinkled on top
- In a large bowl, mix the powdered sugar, melted coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla extract with a handheld or electric stand mixer until ingredients are evenly combined.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour, baking soda and cream of tartar, and blend evenly. The dough should begin to make a ball, or you can form the dough into a ball with your hands. Leave the dough in the large bowl, cover and let chill in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Once dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Using coconut oil, lightly grease a baking sheet so cookies do not stick.
- Divide the chilled dough in half on a lightly floured surface and roll the dough out so it is approximately a quarter-inch thick.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Let cookies cool on a wire rack before frosting and decorating.
- To decorate, spread each cookie with 1 teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut spread. Crumble candy canes on top. Enjoy!
More on healthy eating
The no-diet holiday diet
5 Myths about going vegan
How cheating on your diet can help weight loss
The opinions expressed in this article are of the author and the author alone. They do not reflect the opinions of SheKnows, LLC or any of its affiliates and they have not been reviewed by an expert in a related field or any member of the SheKnows editorial staff for accuracy, balance or objectivity. Content and other information presented on the Site are not a substitute for professional advice, counseling, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical or mental health advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on SheKnows. SheKnows does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.