What would you like to know?
Share this Story

Super foods to eat for better muscle definition

Madeline Glasser is an Army wife and toddler mom with her Bachelors of Health Science in Physiology from the University of Arizona. She lives in Savannah, GA and enjoys good food, sweaty workouts and the adventures life as a family of th...

Foods to make your muscles pop

Building strong and defined muscles takes a lot of hard work and dedication. There is a saying in the fitness world that abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. If this is true, stocking our kitchen with healthy foods can help us to get that coveted muscle definition and show it off!
Fit woman

Foods to Make Your Muscles Pop

Building strong and defined muscles takes a lot of hard work and dedication. There is a saying in the fitness world that abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. If this is true, stocking our kitchen with healthy foods can help us to get that coveted muscle definition and show it off!

Abs are made in the kitchen. How many times have you heard this? Well, to a certain extent, it is true. Your body's ability to utilize and burn off fat is about 80 percent dependent on your diet, with the other 20 percent of success attributable to exercising.

Therefore, it is essential when approaching weight loss or muscle building to be aware of what you eat. Muscles need quite a few different nutrients to grow and be maintained. Here are some super foods you can eat to help define your muscles.

1

Milk

Milk

Milk is a muscle-growing super food due to the fact that it is jam-packed with protein. More importantly, it is composed of 80 percent casein protein and 20 percent whey protein. Whey protein is easily digested by the body, while casein protein takes longer to digest. This combination feeds your muscles for longer. A glass of milk is a great option any time of the day but is perfect after a workout or before bed. Beyond protein, milk has many other essential nutrients, including calcium and vitamins B2, B12, D, K and A.

2

Lean meats

Meats are great for muscle building due to their protein content, but you want to get the greatest amount of protein for the least amount of saturated fat. Good sources of lean protein are as follows:

  • Wild-caught salmon, which has fewer chemicals than farm-raised salmon
  • Turkey breast
  • Low-sodium deli meats
  • Lean (95 percent) ground beef — extra points for grass-fed beef!
  • Pork loin cuts

3

Almonds

Almonds

Almonds make for a protein-packed snack that is a great addition to a muscle-building diet. Additionally, they are full of fiber, which helps to keep you fuller longer. Almonds are another great source of antioxidants to help rid your body of free radicals and help your muscles recover and grow faster.

4

Eggs

Eggs

Eggs are a perfect protein for muscle building, and they support the body's protein needs better than pretty much any other food. Eggs are inexpensive, and each egg contains approximately 7–8 grams of protein. The yolk also has vitamin B12, which helps in breaking down fat and promotes muscle contraction.

5

Sweet potatoes

Sweet potato

Sweet potatoes are a great carbohydrate to incorporate into your muscle-building diet. They are loaded with vitamins A and C, which are powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants help to rid our bodies of free radicals that cause damage to our cells. They also have a low glycemic index, which means that they provide a sustained amount of energy throughout the day.

6

Supplements

Supplements

Supplements have been a long-standing part of muscle growth, and probiotics are one such supplement. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that help to promote digestive health. If you have a healthy digestive system, your body is better able to absorb nutrients and vitamins that are essential for muscle growth. Probiotic Pearls is one brand you can give a try. They are easy to take and require no refrigeration, so they are perfect when you're on the go!

You might also like

Tips for strong bones and joints
10 Super foods and how to squeeze them into your diet
How to eat and exercise to lose weight

Recommended for You
Comments
Hot
New in Health & Wellness
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!