From Toss Your Own Salad by Eddie McNamara:
I’ve always known this as an Israeli salad, but apparently, Persians, Turks, and the Lebanese also claim it as their own. So, if your country is full of dudes with a massive amount of chest hair who only button their shirts halfway, you’re probably familiar with this salad. It’s super easy, super low calorie, and can be eaten with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a snack.
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled, cut into small dice
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into small dice
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into small dice (Like, smaller than small dice (Like, smaller than who hates chewing and wishes everything had the texture of hummus.)
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange or yellow is best—green gets a little bitter), seeded and cut into small dice
- A glug of extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 10 green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Generous amount of salt and ground black pepper
- Prep all the vegetables and add to a large bowl.
- Dress with the olive oil, lime zest, and juice.
- Add the olives and parsley and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the salad for 30 minutes.
- Serve and eat while chain-smoking and yelling into your cell phone.
Copyright © 2017 by Eddie McNamara and reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Griffin