Substitute that meat for marinated tofu for an easy substitute on the grill.
A plain tofu slab in a bun with some lettuce is far from tantalizing, but a marinated and sautéed slice of tofu tucked in a generously seeded whole-grain bun with a flavorful sauce is just what you need when the craving for a burger arises.
Super-healthy tofu burger recipe
- 1 (12 ounce) piece of tofu, pressed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1 tablespoons rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup red and green cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 tablespoons your favorite BBQ sauce or ketchup
- 2 seeded whole-grain buns, split and toasted
- Split the tofu in half lengthwise, and continue to press to remove liquid.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, rosemary and maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tofu in the marinade and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Over medium heat, heat a grill or grill pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Lift the tofu out of the marinade, letting excess marinade drip off. Place on the grill or in the pan and cook for 3 minutes each side or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, toss cabbage with 1 tablespoon or so of the marinade.
- Fill the whole-grain bun with tofu, cabbage and sauce. Serve immediately.
More vegan recipes
Unique recipes for your grill
Garden veggie burger recipes
Meatless Monday: Don't be troubled by tofu