Algerian Chickpea and Cauliflower Tagine
Slow cook veggies to perfection
If you've got a tagine but gave it up after you adopted your vegan diet, it's time to pull it out and get creative with vegan ingredients that will deliver a flavorful, filling vegan meal.
This tagine recipe is adapted from 150 Best Tagine Recipes (Robert Rose, 2011) by Pat Crocker. Though this cookbook is not vegan-only, it does have a chapter dedicated to vegetable tagine recipes.
Algerian Chickpea and Cauliflower Tagine (Serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 3 cups sliced cauliflower florets
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons drained rinsed capers
- In the bottom of a flameproof tagine, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and garam masala and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers and cauliflower.
- Cover with tagine lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes (with juices) and chickpeas and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir in capers, if using, and heat through.
More Vegan Recipes
Lightened Up Lamb Tagine
Rice stuffed grape leaves (dolmades)
Recommended for You