Stir-Fry? Pizza? Why Not Both!
Your son wants pizza, your daughter wants stir-fry. What's a mom who just wants to serve a healthy meal to do? Keep both kids happy by making a skinny stir-fry veggie pizza. This vegan pizza recipe is adapted from a vegetarian pizza recipe from Pritikin Longevity and Spa.
Stir-Fry Vegetable Pizza
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sesame seed oil, olive oil, or canola oil, or oil spray
- 1 pound assorted vegetables, such as onions, mushrooms and bell peppers, cut into long, thin strips
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 4 whole-wheat pita breads
- 1/2 cup low-sodium, low-sugar tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add vegetables and oregano, garlic, and dry basil. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
On a nonstick baking tray, place pitas. Pour equal amounts of tomato sauce in the center of each crust. Using the back of a serving spoon, spread the sauce evenly, using a circular motion.
Divide the sautéed vegetables into 4 equal parts, and spread on each pita. Sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil.
Bake until the crust is crispy around the edges, about 8 minutes.
Chef’s note: For a "meatier" pizza, add cubed tofu or tempeh to the skillet while cooking the veggies.