Summer Squash Is Abundant At The Farmers' Market And Perhaps Even In Your Own Garden. To Put This Versatile Fruit (Yes, Botanically, Squash Is A Fruit) To Good Use, Try These Veggie Cakes With Your Favorite Non-Dairy Creamy Dipping Sauce.
Summer squash is abundant at the farmers' market and perhaps even in your own garden. To put this versatile fruit (yes, botanically, squash is a fruit) to good use, try these veggie cakes with your favorite non-dairy creamy dipping sauce.
Summer squash is abundant at the farmers' market and perhaps even in your own garden. To put this versatile fruit (yes, botanically, squash is a fruit) to good use, try these veggie cakes with your favorite non-dairy creamy dipping sauce.Summer Squash Cakes
- 3 cups grated summer squash
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- Egg-free substitute equivalent of 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
More delish vegan dinner recipes!
- Place squash on a clean kitchen towel and wrap towel around squash then twist to squeeze out excess liquid.
- Transfer squash to a large bowl and add onion, egg substitute, sour cream, mayo, parsley, thyme, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper,Â stirring to combine.
- Gradually add bread crumbs, mixing until ingredients hold together when shaped into a patty.
- Form 8 patties and place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate cakes for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour 1/4 inch of olive oil into a large oven-proof skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Dredge cakes in the flour, lightly coating both sides, and place in the skillet.
- Cook for 1 minute on each side then place skillet in the oven. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until cakes are lightly browned and crisp on the outside.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.