I'm on a rhubarb kick right now and can't seem to get enough of the red-hued stalk. This vegan breakfast recipe is delish as a morning meal or an easy afternoon vegan snack with a tall glass of iced tea.
I'm on a rhubarb kick right now and can't seem to get enough of the red-hued stalk. This vegan breakfastÂ recipe is delish as a morning meal or an easy afternoon vegan snack with a tall glass of iced tea.Rhubarb Crumb Cake Muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup vanilla soymilk
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chilled vegan butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
More tasty vegan breakfast recipes!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat coconut oil and agave until light and fluffy.
- Add flax mixture to coconut oil mixture and beat until well combine. Beat in soymilk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to mixer bowl and blend well.
- Toss rhubarb with granulated sugar.
- Stir rhubarb and almonds into batter. Fill muffin cups with muffin batter.
- In a small food processor, combine brown sugar, all-purpose flour, vegan butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pulse to combine.
- Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over muffin batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched and are lightly browned.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then carefully remove and serve warm.