Chilled grain salads can be served as a satisfying vegan side dish or light vegan meal. Barley, spinach, herbs, and veggies come together deliciously in this vegan grain salad recipe.
Chilled grain salads can be served as a satisfying vegan side dish or light vegan meal. Barley, spinach, herbs, and veggies come together deliciously in this vegan grain salad recipe.Barley Veggie Salad
If you want to streamline the time it takes to make this vegan salad, swap in orzo for the barley -- orzo takes 10 minutes to cook while barley can take over 30 minutes. Keep in mind, barley has a heartier, nuttier flavor along with more nutritional value.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into bite-size florets, lightly steamed
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
More tasty vegan salad recipes!
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Spread barley onto a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add barley to bowl and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or until chilled.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.