A Popular Holiday Dish
A popular holiday dish, scalloped potatoes are usually layered with cheese, cream and butter. This healthy vegan rendition of scalloped sweet potatoes is dairy-free, but just as delicious — and for fewer calories and fat.
Scalloped sweet potatoes recipe
- 1/3 cup white whole-wheat flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups plain soy milk
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or yams, sliced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, melted
- Sweet paprika for sprinkling
- Fresh thyme leaves for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper and soy milk.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with potato slices. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of margarine over the potatoes. Top with a layer of onions.
- Pour 3/4 cup soy milk mixture over the potatoes. Repeat layering with potatoes, margarine, onions and soy milk mixture, ending with soy milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika and thyme. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and the sauce is thickened. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
More vegan recipes
Easy vegan queso dip
Shredded veggie summer slaw