Dried plums and walnuts give this melt-in-your-mouth vegan shortbread recipe a sweet chew and nutty crunch.
Dried Plum Walnut Shortbread
Makes 3 dozen
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried plums (prunes)*
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
*Cook's note: The best way to chop dried plums is to spray kitchen shears or chef's knife with cooking spray before cutting or chopping. This will keep the dried fruit from sticking to the shears or blade. To keep fruit from sticking together while you're mixing the dough, toss it with a little flour before adding to the mixing bowl.
More tasty vegan baking recipes!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream margarine and sugar.
- Add flour to mixer bowl and beat on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until well combined.
- Add dried plums and walnuts, mixing just until combined.
- Place mixing bowl in the refrigerator while oven is preheating.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough into 36 balls, placing them on a large baking sheet and gently pressing into thick disks.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until just lightly browned.
- Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.