These vegan sticky buns are especially appreciated when you have weekend guests — vegan or non-vegan. Make a triple batch and freeze extra sticky buns for an even easier way to get a vegan breakfast treat on the table.
Vegan sticky buns recipe
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2-1/2 (1 envelope) teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed and divided
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scatter almonds on a small baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes or until they start to lightly brown. Quickly remove them from the oven to avoid scorching them. Set aside on a paper towel to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine yeast, sugar and water. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the mixture is frothy (this means the yeast is viable).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, agave nectar or maple syrup and salt. In a large bowl, whisk flour and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together.
- Add the coconut mixture and 1-1/2 cups of the flour mixture to mixer bowl, and blend on low speed until combined.
- Switch to the dough hook, and add the remaining flour, mixing on medium-low speed until the dough comes together.
- Knead it with the dough hook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Turn it onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a ball.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and set aside in a warm draft-free place. Let it rise for 45 minutes or until it's doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix together almonds, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and the remaining cinnamon.
- Brush the dough with about 2/3 of the margarine and sprinkle it with the almond mixture.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough lengthwise into 12 strips. Roll each strip to form a roll.
- Spray a 10-inch round baking pan with cooking spray. Place the cinnamon rolls in a pan (cut-side down) and cover it with a damp towel.
- Let the cinnamon rolls rise for 20 minutes. Brush them with remaining butter and sprinkle them with the remaining brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
More eye-opening vegan breakfast recipes
Vegan breakfast recipes
Vegan breakfast burrito
Workday vegan breakfast recipes