Broccoli and beef may be a popular stir-fry combo among meat-eaters, but that doesn't mean vegans must miss out on this tasty Chinese recipe. Swap out beef for seitan, a vegan meat alternative, and you'll have a delectable vegan Chinese stir-fry that rivals the original recipe.
Broccoli and seitan stir-fry recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons tamari or equivalent Bragg's Amino Acids
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package seitan, cut into strips, liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups steamed rice
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry broccoli and onion until broccoli is crisp tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, tamari or Bragg's and brown sugar. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add seitan strips and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add seitan liquid, cover and steam for 2 minutes.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl, and stir cornstarch slurry into the stir-fry mixture.
- Cook until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Serve hot over rice and garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.
More vegan stir-fry recipes
Stir-Fry vegetable pizza
Butternut squash and pepper stir-fry
Veggie stir-fry with garlic sauce