The Upcoming Chinese New Year -- Or If You Just Love Chinese Cuisine -- Is The Perfect Inspiration For Making This Vegan-Style Hot And Sour Soup. Instead Of Eggs Or Other Animal-Protein, This Festive Vegan Soup Features Tofu And A Filling Array Of Delicio
The upcoming Chinese New Year -- or if you just love Chinese cuisine -- is the perfect inspiration for making this vegan-style hot and sour soup. Instead of eggs or other animal-protein, this festive vegan soup features tofu and an array of delicious vegetables.
The upcoming Chinese New Year -- or if you just love Chinese cuisine -- is the perfect inspiration for makingÂ this vegan-styleÂ hot and sour soup. Instead of eggs or other animal-protein, this festive vegan soup features tofu and an array of delicious vegetables.Vegan Hot and Sour Soup
- 15 dried shiitakeÂ mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 (16-ounce) block firm tofu
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (4-ounce) canÂ bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons tamari or equivalent Bragg's Amino Acids
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons blackÂ vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- All purpose flour mixed with water, for thickening, as needed
- 1/3 cup choppedÂ green onions (green and white parts)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
More tasty vegan soup recipes!
- Place mushrooms and hot water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to rehydrate mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, place tofu on a plate lined with a double stack of paper towels. Set a plate on top and weight it down with a large cookbook or other heavy object to help press the liquid from the tofu (this will make the tofu firmer). Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms but keep the mushroom soaking water. Chop mushrooms. Cut tofu in thin strips.
- Strain mushroom liquid through a coffee filter to remove any grit.
- Bring vegetable broth and mushroom liquid to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Stir in bamboo shoots, water chesnuts, tamari or Bragg's, hot sauce, vinegar, garlic,Â mushrooms, and tofu.Â Â
- Reduce heat to lowÂ and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add a bit of flour mixed with water to thicken the soup, if desired.
- Add scallions and allow to cook for 3 to 5 more minutes. Serve hot, garnished with peanuts.