Squash Us Some Soup
A lovely vegan holiday recipe, this flavorful bisque will fill your home with warm, enchanting aromas. I love acorn squash, but pumpkin or butternut squash is equally healthy and delicious. The Spiced Squash Bisque is one of 125 delectable yet waist-whittling vegan recipes from The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook (Lifelong Books, 2010) by Neal Barnard, MD and award-winning nutritionist Robyn Webb.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place squash in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
3. In a large stockpot, saute onion in 1/4 cup broth over medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
4. Add garlic, cardamom, cumin, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add cooked squash and remaining broth.
7. Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth.
8. Return soup to pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer, partially cover pot, and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
9. If using, garnish the top of each bowl of soup with 2 tablespoons sour cream.