Bread Never Looked So Yummy!
The enchanting aroma of cinnamon and brown sugar lovingly baked into a healthy whole grain vegan bread is a yummy way to wake up your holiday guests.
Bake a few extra loaves and give them away as vegan holiday gifts. Even your non-vegan loved ones will appreciate this vegan holiday recipe. Serve bread as a vegan breakfast treat or toast it for a delicious change from regular vegan sandwich bread.
Holiday Whole Grain Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Makes 2 loaves
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups vegan buttermilk
- 5 to 6 white whole wheat flour, plus extra for kneading
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups dried currants or raisins
- Place yeast, sugar, and water in the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Stir and let mixture stand until it becomes foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add milk, 3 cups flour, and salt. Blend on low until combined. Replace paddle attachment with a dough hook.
- Add 2 more cups of flour and blend until a dough forms and pulls away from the bowl. Add more flour if dough seems sticky. With the mixer on medium-high speed, knead dough with dough hook for 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Lightly oil a large bowl and place dough in bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a slightly damp, clean kitchen towel and set aside to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, and currants or raisins. Set aside.
- Gently punch dough down and place on a lightly floured surface. Divide in half and form into two balls.
- Roll each dough ball into a flat rectangle, each about 8x16 inches in size. Evenly sprinkle each rectangle with brown sugar mixture, using your fingers to gently press mixture into dough, leaving a 1-inch border around all edges.
- Starting at the short end of each rectangle, tightly roll dough into a log and pinch ends to seal. Place each in a lightly greased 8-1/2x4-inch loaf pan.
- Cover with a large damp kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake loaves for 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
More vegan recipes
Warm wonderful apple cider
Maple cinnamon root vegetable bake