A New Spicy Holiday Tradition
Try this delicious and healthy vegan side dish recipe -- perfect for any holiday meal! Since this recipe takes just under an hour to prepare, we recommend making it ahead of time!
Spiced Wild Rice Pilaf with Butternut Squash & Dried Cranberries
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups 3/4-inch cubes, peeled butternut squash (about 1 lb. cubes)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Cape Cod Cranberries
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil, onion and carrot in a deep skillet or saucepan with lid. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add ginger, curry powder, cumin and garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add squash, rices, apple, cinnamon stick and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cranberries. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 300; Protein 6g; Fat 5g (Sat. Fat 0.5g); Carbohydrate 57g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 460mg
More spicy vegan recipes
Spicy vegan sausage
Spicy vegan 'scallop' roll
Spicy Vegan Bloody Mary