A Mouthwatering Appetizer
Looking for the ultimate vegan appetizer to serve at your next holiday get-together? This luscious fig spread -- punctuated with red onion, warm spices and orange zest -- can be slathered on vegan crackers and whole grain party toasts or used as a surprising topping for pizza bites (just sprinkle with your favorite vegan cheese). Make extra and keep a few jars in your freezer or give them away as mouthwateringly memorable vegan holiday gifts that even your non-vegan friends will like.
Savory Holiday Fig Spread
Makes 2 cups
1. Trim figs and coarsely chop. Place figs and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring frequently, until softened. Add orange zest and juice, cardamom, allspice, and salt, stirring to combine.
4. Add figs (and liquid) and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in maple syrup and remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
5. Transfer fig mixture to a food processor and pulse until desired consistency; you can keep it chunky or puree until smooth.
6. Serve warm. Spread can be refrigerated for up to 2 days; let come to room temperature before serving.