A Creamy Vegan Beverage For Everyone
A creamy, rich change from mulled cider, this warmly spiced coconut milk is an ideal drink for a vegan holiday gathering; even the non-vegans in the group will enjoy this festive sip.
Making your own mulling spices lets you tailor your vegan holiday drink to your own tastes and gives you the delicious option of changing the flavors of the coconut milk throughout the wintry season.
Warm Coconut Milk with Mulling Spices
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 (1/4-inch thick) slices fresh, peeled ginger
- Long strips of zest from 1 orange
- Freshly grated nutmeg or a pinch of cayenne
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together almond and coconut milk. Set aside.
- In a double-layer piece of cheesecloth, combine star anise, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, ginger, and orange zest. Enclose spices together in cheesecloth by tying ends together.
- Place spice bag in milk mixture and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Quickly reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot sprinkled with nutmeg or cayenne.
More vegan holiday recipes
Vegan eggnog recipe
Vegan coconut cashew milk
Warm wonderful apple cider