A Nutritious Salad For A Holiday Night
This delicious vegetable dish is a wonderful addition to any Thanksgiving meal. The vegan Butternut Squash and Kale Salad is flavorful and packed with nutrients. Even better - it is great as a leftover! Keep it in your fridge for up to 3 days if you filled up on vegan stuffing on Thanksgiving Thursday. Ever try making it a main course by tossing it with chickpeas, black beans or diced baked tofu! The possibilities are endless!
Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
- 2 bunches kale, tough stems and ribs stripped out, leaves sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 pitted dates, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Put kale and 1/2 cup vegetable broth in a large pot and place over medium heat.
- Cook, covered, stirring frequently, until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add squash and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until kale and squash are tender but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup broth, onion, dates and vinegar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer, uncovered, until onion is very tender and liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
- Cool, toss with kale and butternut and serve room temperature or chilled.
Preparation time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: about 1 Hour
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to debut this vegan recipe, but you can find recipes just like it for any day of the year at Miso Vegan. The ingredients (and inspiration) can be found at WholeFoods.com.
More delicious vegan salads
Vegan Caesar salad
Southwest vegan salad
Blueberry mint salad