Think you make the best apple pie? Try making this vegan desert and have your guests be the judge. They're sure to love both recipes.
Vegan Double-Crust Spiced Apple Pie Recipe
- 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie plate, greased
- Rimmed baking sheet
- 1 Large-Batch All-Purpose Vegan Pastry Dough, chilled (see recipe, below)
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar (see Tips, below)
- 1⁄4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour (see Tips, below)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sweet Marsala, optional
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground allspice
- Cream, milk or soy milk
- Coarse or granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Divide pastry dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger piece of dough into a circle large enough to fit pie plate, dusting work surface and dough as necessary to keep the dough from sticking (or roll between 2 pieces of waxed or parchment paper).
- Press dough into prepared pie plate. Place pie plate in freezer or refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes to chill while you prepare the filling. Roll out remaining dough for top crust and set aside at room temperature on sheet of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, gently combine apples, sugar, flour, Marsala, if using, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, making sure apples are well coated. Transfer filling to prepared bottom crust, gently pressing the apples into pastry with your hand and mounding them slightly in the center. Lightly brush edge of pastry with a little water.
- Place top crust over apples, trimming and fluting edge. Cut steam vents in top of pie. Brush top with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie plate on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and continue baking for 50 to 60 minutes more or until top is nicely browned, apples are tender and juices are bubbling. Insert a knife through one of the vents in top of pie to make sure that apples are tender. If pie starts to get too brown before it's finished baking, cover loosely with a piece of tented foil. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before serving.
For apples that are too juicy, add an additional tablespoon (15 mL) of all-purpose flour.
To easily peel apples, core and thinly slice them, or look for an apple peeler/slicer/corer gadget.
Substitute your favorite spirit for the Marsala, such as whiskey, bourbon or rum.
ALL-PURPOSE VEGAN PASTRY DOUGH (large batch)
If you've been looking for a flaky pastry that doesn't include butter, eggs or dairy, stop right here. This recipe makes a very flaky pastry, which will work well with a sweet or savory pie.
Makes enough dough for one 9-inch (23 cm) double-crust pie or two 9-inch (23 cm) single-crust pies
- One or two 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie plates, greased
- 3 cups (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) confectioner's (icing) sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cold vegetable shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons (90 to 120 mL) ice water
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse flour, sugarand salt until mixed. Add shortening, pulsing until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 6 tablespoons (90 mL) ice water to flour mixture, pulsing until moist clumps form, stopping to test the dough with fingertips to see if it's moist enough to hold together. If dough is too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 25 mL) more ice water as needed. Remove blade and divide dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other if making a double-crust pie or equal-sized for making 2 single-crust pies, flattening each into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For rolling and pre-baking instructions, see above.
Use a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, as it's a much healthier choice, although some purists feel that the hydrogenated version makes a somewhat flakier pastry.
Savory Crust: Omit the sugar in this vegan apple pie recipe and use it to make the pies in the Savory Pies & Tarts chapter.
Almond-Scented Crust: Add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure almond extract along with the ice water.
More Vegan Desserts
Vegan Almond Cookies
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
Vegan Cashew Brownies