Chill Out With Soup This Summer!
Soup in the summer? Definitely, especially if it's chilled!
This Meatless Monday recipe for chilled, roasted asparagus soup with crunchy croutons will definitely satisfy you! We added tofu to make this soup more hearty and creamy, and roasted the vegetables to bring on an enhanced flavor. This is an easy dish to make and great to serve in the warm summer months.
Chilled, roasted asparagus soup with crunchy croutons recipe
- 1 large bunch asparagus (about a pound), ends trimmed about an inch, and cut into three pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, skin on
- 1 shallot, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices artisan bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the asparagus pieces, along with the garlic and shallot (skins on), on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, place the bread cubes on another baking sheet, spray them lightly with the nonstick cooking spray and season with 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme. Set aside.
- When the vegetables have finished roasting, put the vegetable broth in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Remove the garlic and shallots from their skins, and add them to the broth along with the asparagus pieces, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Cover the pot and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables and broth from the heat and allow them to cool slightly.
- Add the tofu to the pot, and use an immersion blender to carefully blend the mixture in the pan until it's smooth.
- Place the bread cubes in the oven on broil for just a few minutes, watching them closely so they don't burn. Remove them from the oven when they turn lightly golden.
- Add the soup mixture to a container with a lid and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve the soup, remove it from the refrigerator, stir it a little and serve in individual cups garnished with the croutons.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Southwestern kale salad with lime dressing
Spinach and mushroom manicotti
Green pea and barley soup