Sometimes you just have to take a break from the meat. Or maybe you want to participate in Meatless Monday. Either way, this is the recipe for you. Mashed sweet potato, chickpeas and tons of smoky seasonings all come together to create a perfect meatless burger. I'm pretty sure with this much flavor you won't even miss the meat!
Sweet potato burgers with chipotle mayo recipe
Yields 4-6 burgers
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup mashed chickpeas (If canned, make sure to drain and rinse)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4-6 whole wheat English muffins, toasted
- In a large bowl add mashed sweet potato, mashed chickpeas, garlic, panko, flour, egg, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, kosher salt and pepper.
- Mix together thoroughly until well combined. Chill for about 15 minutes.
- Once mixture is chilled, shape into patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and, once hot, add in patties. Cook until crisp on both sides.
- Add to a paper towel-lined plate while you prepare the mayonnaise.
- In a food processor, add mayonnaise, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Blend until smooth and combined.
- Assemble the burger by spreading mayonnaise on a toasted English muffin, add sweet potato burger and a few slices of avocado.
More burger recipes
Spaghetti topped burger recipe
Homemade White Castle burger recipe
Blue cheese and bacon stuffed hamburger recipe