A Refreshing Rice Salad
This gorgeous veggie rice insalata (salad) is medley of flavors and textures. Crunchy honey cashews, dried currants and crunchy veggies are tossed into cooked brown rice and finished with fresh herbs. This makes a lovely summer side dish next to grilled chicken or fish.
Usually, rice is thought of as a bland tasteless side dish but not in this recipe. You can add virtually any type of vegetables or even swap out walnuts or pecans in place of the cashews. It's not only healthy and easy to make, it's also super delicious.
Summer veggie insalata with honey cashews recipe
For the salad
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice or other rice of choice
- 4 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber
- 1/2 cup honey roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro finely chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon agave or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender, add all of the ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth. Taste the dressing to see if it needs any additional seasonings. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the salad. Add the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately.
- Note: Though we enjoy this dish at room temperature, you can also serve it chilled.
More easy salad ideas
Strawberry basil quinoa salad
Easy chicken Caesar salad pizza
Healthy barbecue chicken salad with ranch drizzle