A simple, beautiful dish full of flavors, textures and all around wholesome goodness!
Sausage and white beans in a spicy rustic red sauce recipe
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 pounds Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces (sweet, hot or combination of both)
- 1 large onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (plus more for serving if desired)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes, with sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- Fresh basil and fresh thyme for serving (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Add olive oil to a large heavy stockpot and heat it over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, flipping occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes and mix together well. Continue sauteing the sausage and vegetables about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add white beans and stir to coat them with the contents of the pot. Add tomatoes with their juices and, using a spoon, break up the tomatoes in the pot.
- Bring pot to a simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot in bowls with crusty bread on the bottom or on the side. Top with additional cheese, fresh Italian basil and thyme.
More sausage and bean recipes
Sausage, kidney beans and greens
Texas baked beans and sausage
Lima beans and sausage