The Grill Isn't
Just For Meat
Throw some fruit on the barbie this summer! The grill doesn't have to just be for meats and veggies. These sweet yet healthy grilled fruit kabobs are the perfect addition to your backyard barbecue.
Grilling fruit draws out a wonderfully juicy flavor. Serve with a tart and sweet sauce as a healthy, low-fat dessert.
Grilled fruit kabobs recipe
- 1 pineapple
- 1 pint strawberries
- 2 bananas
- 3 plums
- 2 peaches
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Wooden shish kabob skewers
- Peel and core the pineapple and cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Peel the bananas and cut into 5 or 6 large pieces, sprinkle lightly with a small amount of lemon or lime juice, reserving remaining juice for the dressing.
- Cut the plums and the peaches in halves, discarding pits, and cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Wash and hull strawberries. Thread prepared fruit, onto wooden skewers, just as you would a shish kabob, alternating various pieces of fruit on each kabob.
- Place the fruit pieces on the grill for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing by combining the honey, lime or lemon juice, and the chopped mint in a small bowl. Brush the fruit with the honey mixture during the last 4-5 minutes of cooking.
- Place the kabobs on a serving platter, brush or drizzle with any remaining honey mixture.
More fruit on a stick
Mini banana split bites
Strawberry pound cake skewers
Chocolate-covered banana bites