Fun Sparkles For Cakes And Cookies

Who said you can't eat glitter? We're not advising you start eating the sparkles you buy at Michaels, but why not make a few batches of edible glitter instead?

edible glitter

This easy DIY edible sugar glitter is the perfect way to add some serious sparkle to your drab desserts. Made from two ingredients, it's easy and perfect for just about any occasion.

Edible glitter

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup white sugar
  • Colored liquid food dye

edible glitter

Directions:

Divide sugar into two bowls & add dye

Place 1/4 cup of sugar into two shallow bowls. Add 1/2 tablespoon of colored liquid dye to each bowl of sugar.

edible glitter

Stir the dye into the sugar with a fork or spoon, ensuring all of the sugar is evenly coated. Repeat with all of your colors (we did green and blue).

edible glitter

Spread on a baking sheet & bake

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the colored sugar on the parchment paper.

edible glitter

Bake for about 8-10 minutes, breaking up the chunks halfway through. Pour glitter into jars or bowls and use!

How to make edible glitter

More dessert decorating tips

Cake and cookie decorating
Easy cookie decorating without baking
How to make a heart-shaped cake

Comments

Comments on "How to make edible glitter"

Mindy February 23, 2014 | 4:12 AM

Just finished my first successful batch - lol melted the first one by leaving it in too long (looked like glass) and using less than half tsp for coloring gave me a pastel shade, but the half tsp was nice and bright. Used foil shiny side up instead of parchment, and white sugar with slightly bigger sized crystals (I found in the dollar store), my electric oven is about 340-350 according to my oven thermometer, and I did it about 11-12 mins. The color still came off on my fingers afterwards when I crumbled it up, no matter how much/how little food coloring was used (I only tried it with blue). So it took me a couple of tries to get it, but was super worth it.

Mindy February 09, 2014 | 11:17 PM

I'm thinking that emmy is probably trolling. 1000 kgs is a metric ton, and therefore completely unrealistic. 1. Every oven is different, but you can cook the same things in electric or gas. Buy an oven thermometer, some of you will be surprised. Elevation can affect oven temperatures/humidity as well. 2. Wax paper is a NO NO. That is how fires are started. Parchment is cheap and easy to find and designed for high heat baking; grocery or dollar stores usually have small packs. It's the only way you will be able to cook this without burning/scraping etc. 3. Test the recipe more than once before you give up. It may be your oven, it may be your mixture, even the worlds greatest chefs will tweak an established recipe more than once before they are satisfied.

Olivia February 06, 2014 | 5:14 PM

i tried this on my electric oven, all the sugar melted and I checked it at around 6-7min in...i dont know if my oven runs hot (just moved so I'm getting used to it still) or if 350 degrees is too hot in general....please help! cause it looks super fun

orie January 31, 2014 | 5:32 PM

so i just tried this and almost burned my house down i used wax paper cause i dont own parchment paper and i never heard of it and it was a huge Epic fail!!1 :(

Rick January 19, 2014 | 8:15 AM

I've found that the best way to mix the color in is to use a jar. Put your white sugar in the jar, add a few drops of color, put the lid on and shake. You can use as much, or as little as you need, close up the jar and store it for later. (Baby food jars are great for small batches!)

Aimee December 25, 2013 | 7:10 AM

I found it worked when you lowered the oven temperature to 310 degrees F and left them in for 8-10 minutes. You also have to remember to keep the sugar on parchment paper on top of a flat pan. Oh and you only need a couple drops of food coloring in each bowl of sugar, not a half teaspoon. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have an electric oven. I hope this helps.

Kelly October 10, 2013 | 9:44 AM

Sammie, frost the cupcakes and then dip into sugar and it will stick

Sammie September 26, 2013 | 4:29 PM

This seems wonderful, and I would like to try this for my daughters third birthday (it's princess theme (:) but I am not sure how I'm supposed to keep the glitter on the cupcakes? do I use icing underneath or do I put the glitter on while its warm?

Diane September 04, 2013 | 10:57 AM

Thanks! This worked great!

Rosie August 14, 2013 | 6:20 AM

Emmy and Nouran, you need to calm down. I'm going to try this this weekend.

Lynn July 17, 2013 | 5:42 PM

It should be 1/4 teaspoon!

nouran July 04, 2013 | 11:14 AM

emmy is ------- right!! it doesnt work at all (edited)

emmy July 04, 2013 | 11:13 AM

this doesnt work!!!! go ---- yourself!! >:C i wasted 1000 kgs of sugar on it!! and i am brokee!! i was planningg to sell it and now i have no money!! go to ---- you --------!