One taste of this homemade chocolate hazelnut spread, and you’ll never buy a premade jar again!
Creamy NUTELLA AT HOME
One taste of this homemade chocolate hazelnut spread, and you'll never buy a premade jar again!
You might want to make a double batch of this homemade Nutella because it won't last long. Slather it on crepes, cookies, bread and more! The possibilites are endless for this creamy dessert spread.
Homemade chocolate hazelnut spread recipe
Adapted from Cake Simple
Yields about 2 cups
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven until the nuts have darkened and the skins have blistered, about 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Wrap the nuts in a kitchen towel and rub the hazelnuts to remove as much of the skin as possible. (Small bits of skin will remain.) Let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring until completely melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
- In a high-speed blender or a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Continue to process the mixture until the mixture is as smooth as possible. You may need to scrape down the sides occasionally.
- Add the melted chocolate and continue to blend until smooth and well combined.
- The mixture may be thin and a bit runny but it will thicken as it cools. If the mixture is very thick, add a drizzle of oil to keep the mixture more spreadable.
- Transfer the mixture to a jar and let cool to room temperature. Cover and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If stored in the refrigerator, you will need to bring it to room temperature to return to a spreadable consistency.
More Daily Flavor
Nutella and cherry pizza
Slow cooker dulce de leche
Nutty chocolate chip cookie dough dip