A Tropical Twist On An Old Favorite
Homemade shortcakes are easy and impressive, plus they just scream summer! Grab those pineapples that are just coming into season for a fun tropical twist!
Shortcakes are a great go-to dessert when entertaining a crowd. They come together quickly and easily, plus they have a great comfort food feel to them. I love the addition of pineapple for these. It makes a fun twist for a summer cookout.
Caramelized pineapple shortcakes recipe
For the shortcakes:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (pinch)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted chilled butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the pineapple:
- 1 large pineapple, rind and core removed, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together. Add the butter cubes and rub in with your fingers until all the butter cubes are completely mixed.
- In a small bowl, add the cream, yolks and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined, don't overmix or your dough will be tough.
- Just knead the dough three times to bring it together, don't overknead. Roll a rolling pin over the dough lump, one or two times in each direction, or until the dough is about 1-inch thick. Then cut out circles with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. This will make 8 to 9 shortcakes.
- Place the shortcakes on a greased cookie sheet and bake until they are golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Add all the pineapple ingredients to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a strong boil, stirring frequently. Allow to boil until the mixture has thicken into a rich caramel sauce with pineapple chunks, about 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, add the whipped cream ingredients. Mix on high with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Once the shortcakes have cooled, fill with pineapple and whipped cream.
More tropical dessert recipes
Boozy pineapple upside down cake
Mango honey crisp
Coconut cake bars