Thai curry pastes are a wonderful staple to have on hand in the fridge. Different brands vary in their spiciness level, so be sure when adding to recipes, do so a tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired taste and heat level!
Thai chicken curry recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced into strips
- 1 cup diced eggplant
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons red Thai curry paste (more or less according to desired spiciness)
- Fresh basil, cut into strips (cilantro can be substituted)
- Lime slices for garnish
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper chicken on both sides. In a large pot, heat one tablespoon of sesame oil and the olive oil over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute, stirring often about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken to the pot and continue sauteing, stirring often until chicken is just cooked through and no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Add the green pepper, red pepper, onion, eggplant and nice pinch of salt. Saute vegetables, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, about 6-8 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot. Add coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, sugar and Thai curry paste. Whisk all ingredients around in the pot well. Allow pot to simmer about 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, add lots of fresh basil and stir. Taste and add additional curry paste, sugar and/or salt only if needed. Serve hot with additional basil on top, lime slices and prepared jasmine rice if desired.
Don't leave out the fish sauce. It's a crucial ingredient to ensure an authentic Thai flavor.
More Thai recipes
Restaurant-style pad Thai
Spicy grilled skirt steak with Thai red chili sauce
Thai peanut noodle bowl