Homemade basil pesto over penne recipe
- 3 cups washed, dried, fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A squeeze of fresh lemon, about a tablespoon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (13.25 ounce) box of penne pasta
- Place the basil leaves, 1/2 cup Italian dressing, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and lemon juice in a food processor or blender; cover.
- Process until well blended.
- Cook penne according to directions.
- Toss pasta with 3-4 tablespoons pesto. Add chicken if desired. Serve hot or cold.
Store pesto in a tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to one week. You can also pour prepared pesto into freezer weight zip-closed bags. Store in freezer until ready to use. Thaw in refrigerator before using.
More pesto recipes
Stuffed chicken with pesto and goat cheese
Easy pesto pizza bites
Vegetarian meatballs with pesto cream sauce