Make A Splash
Whether you're making waves or lounging by the pool, you're going to get hungry! These refreshing snacks are fast or make-ahead, so you can enjoy your fun in the sun without interruption.
If you're tired of your standby cheese and crackers, here are some ideas to keep your pool snacks interesting and invigorating this summer.
Vibrant vegetables get a boost with creamy avocado, sweet grapes and a splash of lime for an uplifting summer soup. For larger groups, make serving hassle-free by pouring into small cups.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and cut into large chunks
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 cups green grapes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor, and blend/process on high until smooth. Chill for 4 hours before serving.
Shrimp cocktail with zesty cocktail sauce
A classic that's quick and easy to pull together.
- 2 pounds shrimp, fresh or thawed, deveined and peeled
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and boil until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ketchup, horseradish and lemon juice. Serve alongside the boiled shrimp.
Frozen bananas with chocolate and pistachios
This frozen treat is loved by kids and adults alike! Feel free to switch up the toppings — the pistachios here are delicious, but peanuts are always a hit.
- 5 bananas, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- 10 popsicle sticks
- 10 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- Put a popsicle stick halfway into the cut end of each banana half. Place the bananas on a plate or baking sheet and move to the freezer for 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil or butter, stirring to combine. Once melted, remove from heat and pour the sauce into a tall cup. Spread the pistachios onto a medium plate.
- One by one, dip each banana into the chocolate sauce, then quickly roll in the pistachios to coat. Serve immediately or return to the plate or baking sheet and store in the freezer until serving time.
Frozen fruit in general is a great poolside treat, but grapes in particular have a great texture when frozen. They also come conveniently sized for snacking — no chopping required.
- 1/2 bunch of grapes per person
- Rinse the grapes (on or off the vine) and allow to dry on a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Once dry, place grapes on a plate or baking sheet and freeze until solid, at least 1 hour.
Veggie summer rolls with spicy peanut dipping sauce
Crisp, colorful veggies get a kick from a hot and salty sauce. These summer rolls are satisfying without overfilling.
- Eight 8-inch spring roll skins
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint
- 1 small head of red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Sriracha sauce, or to taste
- Add warm water 1-inch deep to a large plate, bowl or pan with at least an 8-inch bottom. Submerge a spring roll skin in the water for 10 seconds, then pull it out and let the excess water drip off before placing it on a plate or clean countertop. Add about 1/8 each of the cilantro, mint, cabbage, carrot and cucumber to the middle of the skin, leaving about 2 inches on each side and 1/2 inch on the top and bottom. Fold one side over the filling and then the other, and then roll the top and bottom in. Repeat with the remaining spring roll skins.
- Add the soy sauce, peanut butter, garlic and red pepper flakes or Sriracha to a blender or food processor, and blend/process on high until smooth. Serve the peanut sauce alongside the summer rolls.
More poolside snack ideas
5 Fun poolside snacks
3 Perfect snacks for the pool
5 Summer figure-friendly snacks