Grilled Chicken... It's What's For Dinner!
Boneless, skinless chicken breast gets sexy marinated in honey-balsamic sauce and then grilled with red onions and plums that form a sauce that's perfect on the side!
Any night is the perfect night for this grilled honey-balsamic chicken with red onion plum sauce! It's healthy, delicious and completely versatile! Serve on a bed of greens, atop a slice of grilled country bread or simply with a knife and fork... sauce on the side!
Grilled honey-balsamic chicken with red onion plum sauce recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1/2 pound each)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey (divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more for seasoning sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 plums, sliced in half and pits removed
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 4 circles
- Cooking spray
- Place chicken, 1/4 cup balsamic, olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large zip-closed bag and move all ingredients around to incorporate well. Allow chicken to marinate 1-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the grill (smoother side down first) and allow the chicken to cook (with grill cover on) undisturbed for 5-6 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook an additional 4-6 minutes. Remove chicken from the grill and allow it to rest.
- While chicken is resting, spray onion and plum halves with cooking spray and place them on the grill. Cook about 10 minutes, 5 per side, or until they are soft and slightly charred.
- Remove onions and plums from the grill. Place 2 of the grilled plum halves and half of the grilled onion in a food processor with 2 teaspoons honey, 1 tablespoon of balsamic and a pinch of salt. Puree until a sauce-like consistency forms. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve grilled chicken with the sauce and remaining grilled plums and onions on the side.
More grilled chicken recipes
Honey chipotle lime grilled chicken
Asian grilled chicken
Tuscan chicken with grilled fennel