If you haven't made beer can chicken before, what are you waiting for?! All you need is a chicken, a beer, a grill and some friends... so get grilling!
Beer can chicken recipe
- 1 (5-6 pound) whole chicken (neck and giblets removed, rinsed and patted very dry)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can beer (half full)
- Mix together the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. (Alternatively, you can use your favorite spice!)
- Rub chicken all over with the oil and then rub inside and out with seasoning mix. Set chicken aside.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high. Take a beer can (half full) and place it on a flat surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, pick up the chicken and place the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the chicken with the beer can inside its cavity to the grill and place in the center of the the grill, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can (as shown).
- Grill the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (no coals or burners directly under the bird), with the grill cover on for approximately 1-1/2 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with an ice cold beer.
More grilled chicken recipes
Honey chipotle lime grilled chicken
Asian grilled chicken
Tuscan chicken with grilled fennel