Liven up your dinner plate with one of the best ingredients of Asian cuisine. Curry can spice up your shrimp and vegetables in no time with no frills. Steamed white basmati rice completes your meal to perfection.
Yellow curry shrimp recipe
- 2 pounds shrimp
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- Thumb-size ginger, grated
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Parsley, chopped finely
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup baby corn
- Shell and devein the shrimp but leave the tails on. Save the heads and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the heads of the shrimp and brown them. Press them lightly with the back of the spoon to take the flavors out. After 5 minutes of cooking, discard the heads.
- Still over medium heat, saute the shrimp until they turn golden brown outside but still are uncooked inside. Take them away from the saucepan and set aside. Discard any pieces left by the shrimp in the saucepan.
- Lower the heat to low and coat the same saucepan with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Saute the onions, garlic, cumin and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk in the saucepan over medium heat. When it starts to boil, whisk in the curry powder. Cook for 3 minutes until it slightly thickens.
- Add the carrots, baby corn and green peas. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the saucepan and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the chopped parsley.
- In a small saucepan, over high heat, cook the rice with 2 cups of water.
- When it boils, cover and turn down the heat to the lowest. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the shrimp curry over the rice.
More curry recipes
Thai chicken curry
Eggplant pumpkin peanut curry
Creamy coconut crab curry