Spice Up Your
Craving pizza? Try this combination of smoky grilled shrimp, sweet roasted peppers and creamy Monterey Jack cheese.
Have you tried chipotle chili seasoning? What makes this dried seasoning so unique is not just the spiciness that comes from dried jalapeno peppers, but a satisfying smoky flavor that goes great with grilled foods.
This pizza highlights chipotle chili seasoning with a host of other fresh flavors that are perfect for summer. It starts with red onions tossed in vinegar to remove their bite and give them a tangy sweetness. Top those with the smoky sweet flavors of grilled chipotle shrimp and roasted red peppers and finish it off with creamy Monterey Jack cheese. Pull this pizza out of your oven and add a little spice to your summer menu!
Grilled chipotle shrimp and roasted red pepper pizza
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili seasoning powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (approximately 20-24 medium shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 batch of pizza dough
- 1 (15.5 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Slices from 1 lime
- Pizza stone (alternatively, you can use a baking sheet)
- Wooden or metal skewers for grilling
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. If you have a pizza stone, put the stone in the oven as it heats up. If you do not have a pizza stone, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare a grill for cooking the shrimp.
- In a small bowl, pour the vinegar over the sliced onion and toss gently to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes and then drain the vinegar from the bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chipotle chili seasoning powder, salt, sugar and black pepper. Toss the shrimp and olive oil together in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp and toss until evenly coated. Thread the shrimp onto skewers and grill until just cooked through. Remove from the skewers and set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle the top of a pizza peel (if using a pizza stone) or the prepared baking sheet with cornmeal. Using your hands, stretch the pizza dough out over the cornmeal in one large rectangle or two small circles until it is an even thickness.
- Top the pizza evenly with first the onion slices and then the chopped red peppers. Transfer to the oven and cook just until the edges of the pizza begin to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizza and top with the shrimp and shredded cheese. Return the pizza to the oven and continue baking until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately, topped with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
More great summer recipes
Healthy pasta recipes for summer
BBQ rib recipes
Chilled gazpacho recipes