Curry take-out at home
Hearty coconut crab curry makes a comforting meal full of flavor and spice. Serve this creamy, delectable crab dish over steamed rice to round out your meal.
Skip the take-out and make homemade curry instead. Although the list of ingredients might seem a bit daunting, this flavorful crab dish comes together easily. Use canned crab from the refrigerated section to save on costs.
Creamy coconut crab curry recipe
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl combine the crab, paprika, 1/8 teaspoon of the turmeric, salt and fish sauce. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the cayenne pepper and the remaining turmeric and stir to mix.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, using a spoon to break up the tomato. Add the bell pepper and continue to cook until the pepper has softened slightly.
- Add the marinated crab and any of the juices, the coconut milk, water and jalapeño. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
More Daily Flavor
Lemongrass shrimp skewers
Thai chicken with fresh basil
Spicy Thai peanut noodles