What are you doing for your mom this Mother's Day? Flowers are nice and cards are sweet, but a Mother's Day brunch would make mom feel loved and appreciated. So here you are: Three light, refreshing recipes every mom will love.
These skinny brunch recipes are ready in minutes, and they're even husband and kid-friendly. Now, just print this out and leave it where your family is sure to see it. Hint, hint.
Strawberry salad with a balsamic reduction
Quick tip: The reduction can be made a day ahead to save time. You can even have all of the salad ingredients ready to go in separate containers, so it's literally a dump and serve.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) bag green leaf lettuce
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 3/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup strawberry balsamic reduction
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To prepare the reduction, heat the vinegar, sugar, and strawberries in a 2-quart stockpot until boiling. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the mixture thickens (it will reduce by about half). Strain and let the mixture cool.
- To assemble the salad, place the first 6 ingredients in a large salad bowl. Add the olive oil and balsamic reduction and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently until the greens are fully coated with the dressing.
Egg-white frittata with spinach,
cherry tomatoes & Parmesan
Quick tip: It's very important to squeeze out all the excess moisture from the spinach; otherwise you'll water down your frittata. Serve with whole grain toast or English muffins.
- 12 egg whites
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed, chopped and drained of moisture
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Preheat the frittata pan over medium heat. In a medium bowl, mix the egg whites until frothy. Add the cherry tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, garlic, 2 tablespoons basil, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Add the egg mixture to the frittata pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the egg whites begin to set around the edges. Loosen the egg whites with a rubber spatula. Flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the frittata has set and is cooked through.
- Transfer from the pan to a plate and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Slice the frittata into thin wedges and eat warm or at room temperature with dollops of sour cream on top.
Cranberry honey nut granola
Quick tip: Serve this granola over low-fat yogurt and substitute or supplement the cranberries with fresh berries like blueberries or raspberries.
- 2-3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup pecans, halved
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened dried cranberries
- Place the oven rack in the bottom of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the oats, almonds, pecans and coconut in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, honey, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the liquid over the oat and nut mixture and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until crispy, toasted and light golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Stir the granola twice during the baking process to ensure even browning.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the cranberries. Toss to distribute evenly. Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes then break it into chunks. Cool completely.
More Mother's Day recipes
Mini Mother's Day brunch recipes
Top 10 Mother's Day drinks, desserts and more
Mother's Day mimosa cupcakes